Tuesday, August 23, 2011

September challenge

The DMQG gave us a challenge in July & it is due in September. I'm not going to reveal my mini quilt until after our September meeting. But i will show you the backside! I wanted to try my hand with various free motion quilting patterns - so this was my first. Not sure I would do this on a big quilt because it was so time consuming, however it does look really great!




Now I am on the hunt for the right marking pen or pencil. I used 2 marking water soluble pencils (1 white & 1 blue) the white was still hard to see on the grey, but showed up on darker colors. The blue wasn't as fine tipped as I would have liked, not to mention I had to press kind of hard. So now I'm on the hunt! Any suggestions?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Jenny Garland said...

April - that looks FANTASTIC!! I can't believe how great your first attempt turned out. I *love* the Sewline water soluble pencil. It's fantastic.

Heather said...

How in the world did you do that? That looks great! I think you're going to have to give me lessons.

April said...

Thank you Jenny! I am pretty happy with it- and i must say- the other side looks even better haha! I will definitely check out the sewline water soluble pencil!



@heather- thanks! i found a plastic quilt stencil on clearance a while back (might have been at Joann's) and i just traced it onto the quilt with a water soluble pencil- then using my free motion quilting foot i copied my lines. easier said than done. i think had i had a better marking pencil it would have gone faster. :)

Annalilly said...

I don't know the name of it, but I got a blue/green mechanical pencil from Quilter's Dream that I use when hand quilting, and I love it.