Thought I'd do a small Doll size Ticker Tape Quilt Tutorial! This size quilt is fast and easy. I think I got it done in about 2 episodes of Project Runway (my new guilty pleasure!)
List of Items needed:
Sewing Machine (I use my walking foot for the entire quilt)
2 fat quarters (or 2 scraps of about 18" X 20" fabric)
batting measuring 18" x 20"
basting pins or basting spray- or however you baste!
pinking shears or pinking rotary cutter
binding or fabric for binding
1. sandwich your 2 fabrics & batting between.
2. Pin/Baste or Spray with your basting spray .
3. Quilt your sandwich. I did just a few big lines across to make a basic diamond shape.
then trim off your excess fabric & batting
4. Start at 1 corner & pin 1/3 of your fabric scraps on. I had to cut some of my fabric scraps even smaller. I generally use about 8-10 different fabric scraps (in multiple sizes so they can be used more than once, but not be placed close together) If your fabric scraps are not cut with pinking shears or a pinking rotary cutting blade, be sure to do so otherwise it will fray really badly after being washed.
5. Carefully do a simple top stitch on top of each piece. I leave about 1/4" around each edging.
6. Pin the rest of your scraps on & secure with stitching. I don't always cut each thread when going from each square to the next. Most definitely do a backstitch at each square's beginning & ending stitch to secure your work & then I will lift off the finished piece & move to the next.
7. After you're done sewing on each piece you'll have this lovely mess of thread. Now you can go and trim each piece and stray threads on both sides.
8. Get your binding & attach.
9. Voi-la! My favorite step is washing it, drying it & seeing how it crinkles up naturally. You'll have to trim a few frayed edges after washing & drying but it shouldn't fray much more than that. I love the frilliness the pinking sheared effect gives to the fabric after being washed!
Doll size quilts are a great scrap buster & make great gifts for little girls, but Do a larger size & you just might be able to clean out those fat quarters that have been sitting around :)